Thursday, March 20, 2008

Appearances



'One of the greatest places to just sit back and relax, night or day, Jupiter, FL'


It's said that "the happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Ever since I can remember I've had a dream home pictured in my head. It's on a cliff that overlooks the water, and waves crash on the rocks below with a constant rolling sound of ocean water. The windows are big and are always open because the wind is causing the sheer white curtains to blow around in a very unrythmic yet gentle and chaotic pattern. That's just the beginning, the details go on, however the most important part is that I see myself calm, relaxed, and peaceful.

I have no idea how big my dream home is, in fact although I have a very vivid picture painted in my head, I've only ever seen two rooms, so maybe that's all the bigger it is. But if it makes me that happy in my head, two rooms is all I'll need.

What's the point of having dreams and visions if you aren't healthy enough to enjoy them? Too many people gleam in the presence of their new foreign sports car, or pass photos through email of the house they just purchased on the beach, or gossip wildly about their one month vacation to The Greek Isles, yet their health is poor and their lifestyle below par. Bragging rights only get you so far, because if you're too overweight to comfortably fit in your new foreign sports car, or too lazy to appreciate the outdoor climate of your new beach house, or too physically out of shape to sight see along the Mediterranean, then what are you bragging about?

Despite the picture that I have painted in my head, I'd rather have my health. To me that means being able to enjoy everyday life, eating well, working out, and inspiring others to do the same. Extravagances mean nothing in the end if you can't even play with your kids because of how you chose to lead your life. Health and fitness is in our own hands, and we're not only responsible for ours, but for the next generation's as well.


"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

2 comments:

Howie B said...

Amen, Pamela! Bigger house is nice, but more to clean. Fancy cars are nice, but don't do much when you sit in stop-and-go traffic commuting to work each day. But health is #1. Every day that is a healthy one, is a great one. Too bad it's only when people lose their health do they realize how important it is to them. Seek out that dream house and the joy that is associated with it and keep it in your heart. Take it with you everywhere you go and share it with your friends and loved ones. That's happiness.

Pamela MacElree said...

Thanks Howie! That's all very true!