Friday, January 25, 2008

WTH Effect...Maybe




Anyone who knows me, knows I don't like to run and I don't like the cold. I'll include some 1-3 mile runs/jogs every once in awhile provided the weather is optimal, which basically means, I run at most 12 times a year. Not sure what got in to me this week, especially since it's only 30 degrees outside, but I ran some trails with Bella twice this week and felt great! Especially today, and it was cold! We were out for over an hour, I got completely side tracked with the scenery, and barely realized where I was, not to mention I found myself running up hills, jogging flats, and walking downhills.

To be honest I really wasn't that tired, and I actually enjoyed running, which hasn't happened in years. I had no muscle fatigue in my legs, any fatigue was in the lungs, and I'm not sure if this was due to lack of conditioning (I don't think so) or the cold air. Part of my enjoyment though had to be the scenery. The idea of running flat terrain, mile after mile, on a treadmill, or around the track bores me to death, but the variety of the hills, and the scenery, and just the piece of mind and serenity that I zoned into was actually relaxing and calming.

My training for the past few months had to be everything with my ability to run for the length of time I ran this week.

4 comments:

Gregory K said...

The trails are where getting lost is actually a pleasure.

Thanks for a great post!

Pamela MacElree said...

I couldn't agree more. It was a great escape, and I'm looking forward to it more often.

Anonymous said...

*gasp* Pamela was out running!?! ;) I can't believe I missed this. Oh well. Glad you enjoyed your time on the trails.

P.S. And this is a serious question: Did you happen to come across deer bones on the trail near the Indian? Because one of my running friends claims that he saw a whole deer. I went out looking and found nothing. I think he's telling me stories.

Pamela MacElree said...

I was wondering how long it would take before you commented on this! No deer bones though, thank god, Bella, would have had a field day.

Funny Susan, you were one of the people I thought about when I was out this weekend! Looks like it might be a nice day before the rain kicks in so I might venture out again!