Saturday, February 23, 2008

Stronger or Vulnerable

If you expose your weakness, regardless of what it is, does it make you stronger or vulnerable?

There is always the typical answer where you could say that it depends on the situation. But I'm not interested in each individual situation (not today anyway), I'm interested in the overall affect from all situations combined together.

I'm inclined to believe that you become stronger and the more often your weakness is exposed the less it affects you negatively. I'm not sure if a true weakness, like Superman and Kryptonite or more seriously trusting people, ever disappears, but I'd like to believe that it adds to your character. You become forced to recognize it and find ways to not let it hinder your performance, your thoughts, and your life.

Every aspect of life influences you and your actions. It's true to say that if you don't have your mental game together, any physical training and even daily activities aren't carried out to their highest potential. It's not like one day you can just wake up and say I have it together. Training your weakness is probably more difficult than any physical training goal. I know it is for me, and I know I have to dig down deep to stir things up enough to bring it to the surface to face it. Everytime I do, something good always happens. I'm better than I was the day before, just as it is when I reach a training goal.

I take all those experiences with me and I'm a stronger person in the end, not vulnerable at all, even if for a second I feel like I might be.

No comments: