Monday, September 29, 2008

Entering the World of MMA




The interest of women in martial arts has been significantly smaller than the percentage of men involved. Lately, a great many more women have taken a liking to martial arts, most specifically mixed martial arts. For this I'll thank the two prime time fights that have occurred in the past few months, as well as the fights shown on Showtime and a few other sources.

Who would have thought that women would enjoy taking a punch to the face, a pounding in the ribs, and possibly facing an armbar or a choke that leaves you momentarily lifeless on the mat?? Or better yet, being the one administering the pain?

Despite my interest in the sport of mixed martial arts and my great fondness for Brazilian jiu-jitsu, I never would have guessed that more and more women are interested in the sport of mixed martial arts. I'm curious to the reason of the increased interest and if it's one that will not only last but increase as the years continue.

Although the female interest has increased, it's overall involvement is still low and limits some tournaments and fights to few opponents. Will there one day be a following like that of other sports that were previously dominated by men? I personally have promised to my dear folks that I will not enter a ring, but I will continue my pursuit of excellence in the sport of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I wonder how the rest feel?

No comments: